About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tarantula Hawk


 Tarantula Hawks are the largest wasps in the world. This one was about two inches long. These wasps sting and paralyze tarantulas.  Then they drag the huge spider back to their underground nest and lay a single egg on the spider. When the egg hatches, the wasp larva eats its way into the spider's body cavity, carfully avoiding its vital organs so that the spider doesn't die and stays fresh. They are not agressive; however, it is said that the sting is the most intense pain ever felt! Luckily it only last a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment