About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Autumn Leaves in June

The leaves make me sad, as they fall from trees in June.
But the children enjoy collecting yellow and red shapes for art projects.
The river level depresses me, as springs run dry.
But the children enjoy snokling in the shallow rapids and pools.
I am fearful of the future while we walk in the woods and find few insects.
But the children are delighted that they have not been biten by a tick.
I am envious of thier happiness and annoyed by my knowledge
They are envious of my knowledge and oblivious of their joy


Looking at these fallen leaves
Gazing at these dying trees
Depression

Digging in the lifeless dirt
Feeling all the pain and hurt
Sadness

Gathering clouds that sprinkle rain about
Finding a bloom, a joyful sprout
Hope

Stumbling upon a chirping bird
Singing the prettiest song I've heard
Joy




Passion Flower

Nighthawk (Whip-poor-will)






1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, Autumn in July. It's getting me down a bit too. Would love some healing, rejuvenating rain.

    I'm glad you showed a pic of the Whip-poor-will. I've never seen one, and didn't know they were in the Hawk family, but I have the fondest memories of hearing their song as I drifted off to sleep.

    It's all a balance. And I feel that Earth will balance out these miss-balances. May it be soon, for the healing of all.

    ReplyDelete