About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fog

I live in a cloud forest. The thick, moist air hangs on mountain tops and covers me with fog. Often the dense fog, as think as pea soup, cloaks the morning. Sometimes it lingers all day, drifting like ghosts between the tree trunks. From Owls' Knob, I imagine the entire world is cloudy. But like I have discovered many times, a quick drive to the valley is all it takes to have sunshine on my shoulders again. At a distance, I look back at my home and see how one little grey cloud is sitting on the hilltop amongst a blue sky. And I can't help but recognize my blindness to the rest of the world when I was inside the fog, or my ignorance of the fog from my sunny spot in the valley.

This wasn't taken on a foggy day.
It is the view of the mountains
to the south of Owls' Knob.

No comments:

Post a Comment