About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Higher Ground

 
It rained about six inches in the past three days!
The ground is saturated, the valleys are flooded, the creeks are roaring, and storm drains are overflowing into the streets.


Animals are moving to higher ground.
This morning, as the sun warmed the earth, I found two turtles walking along the side of the road, where the overflowing storm drains had created a stream along the curb.



They both made their way up the street, up stream, and then into the woods that lead up the mountain.
I am sure they are not the only ones moving to higher ground today,
just the slowest and therefore the easiest to spot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment