About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

First Day of Fall

     The day before yesterday I took Zane and Elo to the White River for a final swim. Though it was windy, the air temperature felt warm and so did the water. I had a suspicion that winter was on its way. The weatherman had spoke of rain and cold in the forecast. I thought that this would be our last chance to wade in wild water this year.
     Yesterday I woke up at dawn to lightening, thunder, and rain outside my open window. Though the breeze felt warm as the rain began, water cooled my world quickly. A chill had set in by noon that shook our bones. As the clouds lifted and the sinking sun dyed the sky pink, a rainbow curved across the eastern sky. Gazing at the arch of colors, I imagined the array of colors that would soon arch of the hills. I shivered. Autumn is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment