About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer is here

Summer does not arrive on time. It carries no watch nor does it hop on a train. The hot summer breeze blows in whenever is feels and stays as long as it likes. Children only recognize summer when that bell rings at three on the last day of school. Leaves respond to the increasing light and flowers to the fluxuation in rain. I call summer the first river of sweat down my back. There are many other signs, but my skin does not release sweat without merit. A trickle of salty water rarely traces my spine, so when it does, I know that summer is here. Wednesday, for me, was the first day of summer, just in time for June.

No comments:

Post a Comment