About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Earth Day!

We are so blessed to live on such a beautiful planet! On Earth Day I always make a resolution! This year I will try to drive less and carpool more! Please, will you make an Earth Day resolution with me?
For me, earth day has always been a time for contemplation; a day for questioning my future and my past. This week I debated the toll our human population has had on the earth. Overpopulation is undoubtedly an issue but it is one that is either solved by death or lack of life. My cat gave birth to three kittens yesterday. Since she is the survivor, the only cat alive after a year, I rejoiced in their life. Still, I pondered the booming feline population elsewhere. In the face of ecological and economic disasters, life and death lead ambiguous rolls. This year has been filled with disasters: the earthquake in Haiti, radiation in Japan, tornadoes in North Carolina, and the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Yet, in my world, life trucked on as usual. I recycle, compost, garden, conserve, and use solar power, but then I drive sixty miles into town in my gasoline engine. And even if I am driving to an earth day celebration, I know the earth frowns.  
So I took a walk after a spring rain. and contemplated life and death, right and wrong, God and Earth. I think about all the little things I do or don’t do to help or hinder the earth. While walking, I listened to a vireo singing from the ticket across the pond. The vireos always sound troubled, asking themselves questions and then answering or coming to conclusions. The bird asks himself a series of questions. Then his tone changes as if answering himself or coming to a conclusion. This vireo sounded troubled as he contemplated a list of important matters and came to an only partially satisfying conclusion, his tones ending in higher or lower notes. I relate and feel akin to this small bird. I too asked more questions than I answered.  Today is such an important day, I am lost in questions. But what can I do or not do for something as grand as the earth? There I go again, chirping like the vireos, questioning everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment