About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blooming

Flowers bloom and wilt quickly; fleeting reminders of our mortality. Yet, unlike animals, I am able to capture such beauty in a frame. I am even able to share it with you, despite time and space. It is no wonder that some tribal people were terrified of cameras and thought that it stole the soul. Perhaps it does steal something from the world, by preserving the temporary and making the unique ordinary.  


There was a time when words were all we had. When only an artist could share a picture to tell those thousands of words. But now with thousands of pictures that image shares less words. And there is less to say. Old books spend pages describing what the reader has never seen. Now novels are brief, blunt, and fast pace. There is no need to describe what can be googled. I have no reason to elaborate upon the bowing head of the Trout Lilly. How her splotchy leaves flutter like fish in the wind. Because the picture says it for me, it is even blurry from the movement.  


Things are always changing, like the seasons, like the wilting daffodils. I can not deny my love for photography even if I am stealing a piece of something precious from nature. I am also sharing and creating a dynamic with you that could never exist without technology. So like nature, I am adapting to the changes of time: my pictures are multiplying and my words are becoming more concise.

No comments:

Post a Comment