About Me

My photo
I am a mother, a teacher, and a nature lover. I grew up on a mountain we called Owls' Knob in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The first seven years of my life were spent living in a log cabin, far from a store or streetlight, without electricity or running water and after twenty years of travel, I returned to the abondoned homestead. Now I live on a hill by a small lake and work at a public garden. These are stories about nature written from a women deeply influenced by place.

Sunday, February 6, 2011





           As the snow fell, robins decended, searching for berries. Among cedar foliage, holly leaves, and the tangles of miseltoe, the red breasted birds hop. They are often too quick to catch with my camara, so busy trying to collect food before another night's cold snap.  



This year ice frosted the berries but did not incapsulate them. When winter fruits are cocooned in ice, the birds go hungry. But as the sleet transformed into snow, the birds sung out in relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment